Empanadas are easy and very versatile. You can practically make them within minutes and fill them with anything whether leftovers or things you like….you crave….
What you need:
500 grams flour
150 grams unsalted butter or fleismann’s for dairy free version
1.5 tsp salt
1 cup water
Mix flour, salt and butter together – you can use cold butter and the mix will turn into a sandy texture or cold melted butter and it will be sticky.
Add water as needed to make a nice dough that will be easy to work with.
sprinkle flour on the table, roll out the dough to about 1-1.5 cm thick, and using a cup cut circles out of the dough.
Fill with what you like:
1. Pizza- tomato sauce, mozzarella, oregano, olives.
2. Gound beef- prepared and cold. I like to warm the pan with a bit of olive oil and garlic, add the ground beef. When
cooked add salt, pepper, small cut celery and carrots.
3. Mashed pumpkin, potatoes and carrots with salt and pepper
4. Mixed cheeses with goat, mozzarella and Parmesan. Add salt, pepper and a bit of egg yolk.
On the sweet side:
2. Nutella with marzipan.
3. Vanilla cream and strawberry jam.
4. Mixed berries with vanilla.
5. Thin sliced apples with cinnamon and sugar.
As I’ve already said- anything goes! If you only plan to make sweet empanadas, put less salt in the dough.
Close the dough into halves (half moon shaped), tighten the edges with a fork.
Brush with egg. You can put sesame or poppyseeds on top.
Bake for about 20 minutes at 350F, 180C.
Enjoy and tell me about your empanadas!